Home Health Agency Benefits
Home health agencies achieve improved coordination of care and better outcomes for their patients. Patients receiving home health are classified as home bound, so leaving home to manage an office visit with their PCP can only be done with taxing effort. Consequently, many patients avoid exhaustive trips to their PCP and only achieve medical care through ER visits or hospitalization. It only makes sense that home health patients should receive their medical visits in the comfort of their home as well.
We are accustomed to processing 485′s, orders for care, and DME documentation. Thus, agencies have less worries of chasing down orders & signatures. Home health nurses have direct access to our house-call providers, which decreases the number of contacts made to receive any new orders and improves overall home health organizational efficiency. Routine primary care home medical visits achieve enhanced medication management, improved coordination of care, and outstanding support for caregivers/family.
Studies show that house calls programs reduce hospital admissions.
- 1 in 4 (24%) of home health patients in Florida are admitted to the hospital.
- In-home primary care (house calls) reduces hospital admissions by 25-29%.
- Improve your home health agencies “medicare.gov home health compare” rankings by using our providers to improve patient outcomes and decrease hospital admissions.
- Doctors House Calls documentation is impeccable.
- We are aware how important the verbiage of the face to face is and we make sure it is done right the first time.
Assisted Living and Retirement Community Benefits
Senior living facilities improve the quality of life for their residents.
- We work proactively with facility management to offer a viable alternative to exhaustive trips for residents to complete typical medical office visits.
- We assist seniors with aging in place to prolong or avoid nursing home placement.
- House calls medicine decreases the number of hospitalizations and ER visits.
- Our services compliment basic senior care and medical support offered by most facilities.
- Many residents need a wide variety of medical provider services, which we can deliver in their homes.
- In most cases we can respond quickly to new referrals and urgent care needs.
- We work with virtually all home health and hospice agencies to coordinate care, and we are accustomed to corresponding with hospitals and discharge planners.
Insurance Company Benefits
Insurance companies improve the outcomes of their beneficiaries, reduce spending, and increase profits. The highest cost beneficiaries are usually those with multiple chronic conditions.
- 10% of Medicare beneficiaries use 63% of the total costs of Medicare through unnecessary use of ER and hospital for routine care.
- Multiple complex chronic conditions cause exhaustive efforts to leave home and limit access to traditional ambulatory medical clinics/offices.
- Exhaustive efforts making trips to outpatient medical offices create non-compliant beneficiaries. Many of these beneficiaries will cut pills in half or skip doses to try to stretch prescriptions to prolong the need for an office visit.
Regular home medical visits to patients with multiple chronic conditions reduces unnecessary ER visits and hospitalizations and reduces length of stays for those who do need admitted on occasion. Frequently, beneficiaries will ignore exacerbation of symptoms to avoid exhaustive trip to medical clinic until they get to a point to call the ambulance and go to the ED for care that could have been prevented through use of routine in-home primary care medical visits (i.e. house calls).
Routine primary care delivered in the home improves coordination of care, enhances stability, and increases accuracy of ICD-9 codes that impact Medicare Rate Adjustments (MRAs).
Hospitals improve their designs for reducing length-of-stay and costly admission and/or re-admissions.
Our practice focuses on patients that office-based primary care providers (PCP) are unable to serve, because these complex patients are unable to make the exhaustive trip to the PCP office and use the ER instead. Many elderly patients who are discharged from hospitals are unable to comply with post-hospitalization follow-up with their PCP due to health or transportation, which often leads to re-hospitalization or progressive decline in health.
Our practice provides desperately needed in-home primary care to the sickest of patients, which helps keep them out of the hospital through secondary prevention. Home-based primary care decreases unnecessary ER visits and low-value admissions and/or re-admissions as well as length of stays for those who do need admitted on occasion.
- 1 in 5 (20%) Medicare patients are readmitted within 30 days (usually within 7-8 days).
- 1 in 3 (34%) Medicare patients are readmitted within 90 days.
- 2 in 3 (68%) Medicare patients discharged with medical conditions are readmitted or die within 1 year.
- 1 in 2 (50%) Medicare patients discharged after surgery are readmitted or die within 1 year.
- Length of stay (LOS) for readmits is usually 0.6 days longer than original LOS.
- Soon, hospitals will face costly Medicare penalties for avoidable re-admissions.
- Several studies demonstrate the effectiveness in house calls program reducing hospital admissions and reducing length of stays to allow better management of bed capacity.
- House calls program in Boston, MA reduced admissions by 29% and length of stay 34%.
- House calls program in Washington, DC reduced hospital admissions by 25% and length of stay by 50% for end of life patients in the program
Home care medicine (house calls program) is a key cost-savings and care management initiative for Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) wishing to reduce re-admissions and enhance outcomes for frail Medicare beneficiaries. House calls programs can also serve as the chief intervention of post-acute programs that reduce unnecessary 30-day re-admissions and help hospitals avoid Medicare penalties. House calls medical program can also assist hospitals with managed care or Capitated care contracts such as Medicare Advantage or other similar at-risk contracts to manage the care of their costliest patients.
Doctors House Calls, specialty staff services Palm Beach and Broward.